Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Breast Cancer Survivor

It's been a long time since you heard from me. This is because I was diagnosed with breast cancer! I was in shock when I received the diagnosis from my doctor because it blew away all the misconceptions I had had about breast cancer and how one could get it.

I had been made to understand it is hereditary. How wrong this is because no one in my family has ever had breast cancer or any other type of cancer for that matter! I know 'cos I saw my great grandmother before she died and she died from old age at 103. My grandmother also died from old age at 96. From my father's side, my grandmother lived to be over 110 they say while my father died at 98.

Spewing all the stats above does not make me old. It just happens that my mom was very young when my father married her. So!
I know that when many receive such diagnosis, they regard it as a death sentence. I didn't. I was determined to find the root cause and fight it. It was during my reserach I discovered that 85% of women who have breast cancer do not have it within their families and that only 5-10% of breast cancer is hereditary. What? I could not believe it because such misconceptions can lead many to ignore the signs of this disease or take precautionary measures to prevent it.

I also discovered that women who have more than 3 drinks daily are at risk of getting breast cancer. Another cause is stress from everyday life. Women who are between ages 40 and above who have a lot of body fat and do not exercise are also at risk.

So these are only a few of the causes of breast cancer. So now that you know this what are you going to do to prevent having this disease?

A monthly self-breast exam is key to discovering the lump which indicates the presence of cancer. We need to cut down on drinking alcohol; we have to watch our weight by watching and being careful about what we eat. We have to stay away from processed foods like canned goods and eat more of fresh fruits and vegetables.

After these things, just keep your fingers crossed and pray to your God and believe that you will live to testify that you are one of the few increasing survivors from this disease.

Till then, write to me and share your experiences with me so that others may learn from them.
Cheers!

2 comments:

redmary said...

HI Rita, I just spent the past 10 minutes typing my whole saga about my last year experience with breast cancer and then it was all deleted because it wouldn't let me pull up my identity. I set up my identity before my bout with breast cancer. I had a mastectomy on July 2nd, had some additional lymph nodes removed on July 17th (only one had a touch of cancer on it) and then I had my final reconstructive surgery on Nov 18th. My mom took my diagnosis as a death sentence and quit taking her insulin. I found her on Nov 5th and it appears she had died a few days before that.
However, the support of my boys, Saad and my many friends and coworkers was overwhelming and I have kept a very positive outlook thru it all. I am in remission, my hair is back and very curly and I like to believe I have another 30 or 40 years left!
We will need to sit down over a cup of tea and compare stories. I know you have such a strong faith and a new granddaughter is a huge plus. My love to you and Steve and your family. Mary Fares

success said...

Awww Mary, it seems as if you and I have been through a life time together. Indeed, many view such diagnosis as a death sentence but now there is hope. We must do everything to ensure that a cure is found for breast cancer. My daughter and I have registered for Avon Walk to cure breast cancer here in Chicago coming up in June. I am glad that you had such great support from friends and family. You're lucky to have such strong boys, Ryan and David in your corner, not forgetting their super dad, Saaaaaaaaad!
Meanwhile take very good care of yourself; worship your God, eat well, exercise and have fun . We must live Mary 'cos sooooooooo many lives depend on us.
Love to you and your family.
Take care. Cheers!
Rita