Friday, April 29, 2011

Restoration Time - Part IV

ABIDING IN THE LORD-01/20/2011
(Rita A Coker)

What does it mean to ‘abide’ in something? Several meanings come to mind namely; to stay, to wait, to pause, to delay, to continue in a place, to have one’s abode, to dwell in a certain place, etc etc.
I believe the best definition for us in this discuss is “to continue in a place or to dwell in a certain place.”
This means to continually be in the presence of the Lord. If Christians are to walk by faith and not by sight, then we need to deliberately, no, we must deliberately choose to stay in the presence of the Lord for many, many reasons.

1. For protection - Psalm 91- and many such scriptures give us insight as to the necessity of abiding in the Lord our Saviour. (Read and discuss).

2. For strength to walk with the Lord in this dark and stormy world -John 15.1-5.

3. Deliverance from temptation and sin - What is temptation? James 1.13-16. Protection from sin - Galatians 5. 16-26 (read and discuss). But remember the goodness of God in I Corinthians 10.13-14.

Other reasons for abiding in the Lord

1. Our God is holy and in order for His love and protection to also abide with us we are commanded to be holy. I Peter 1. 15-16; Leviticus 11.44. What is holiness? (discuss).
Can we live like this? By His grace and our brokenness (humility) and yieldedness, we can.
2 Timothy 2.19 ;Matthew 24.12

2. Heaven -We want to be there; I want to be there, don’t you? Heaven is our goal but listen to these warnings. I Corinthians 10.12 (refer to verses before this conclusion.) I Corinthians 15.19; I John 3.3;
Note that the unrighteous cannot make heaven-I Corinthians 6. 9-11; Revelations 21.27; Rev.22.15. Not a murderer? See James 2.10-11; I John 3.15-16; Philippians 2.3-7.


How?
1. Discipline the desires of your heart, most especially the flesh.
I Corinthians 9.24-27- “Know ye not that they which run a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown, but we an incorruptible. I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air; But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection; lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

2. Choose to do what is right; choose to obey God
I Corinthians 6.12; I Corinthians 10.23

3. Confess and repent, immediately after falling into sin; to Jesus Christ our Advocate, the only Mediator we have between us and God and not to any human being who is a fallen creature like ourselves.
I John 1.8-9; I John 2.1

Conclusion -
We overcome the world through our faith
I John 5.3.4;


I hope and pray that you find peace and rest in the Lord Jesus Christ our Savior.
Peace!!! (Quotations are from King James Version.
Rita Akoto Coker

No comments: